John Martin Lane, Terry’s Texas Rangers, (8th Texas Cavalry, C.S.A.), Company A
John Martin Lane was the 2nd son of Thomas J. Lane, who originally built Lairdland Farm House in ca. 1831. The Lane property consisted of 5,000 acres. John Martin was one of 10 children of Thomas L. Lane and Nancy Gordon Lane and was born Jan 8, 1841, in this house.
He lived with his parents and siblings in this home until 1856 (or 1857). The family, including John Martin, were members of Brick Church Presbyterian Church, and their names appear on early church documentation. At age 14, John Martin went with his family when his father, Thomas L. Lane, moved the family to Burleson County, Texas. Two sisters remained in Giles County as they had married.
When the War broke out John Martin joined Terry’s Texas Rangers, Company A. His unit fought throughout Tennessee under the command of General Joseph Wheeler. On Oct. 6, 1863, he was part of the men led by Wheeler when they were attacked by the Federals at Farmington, Tenn., where 10 of Terry’s Texas Rangers were killed, including John.
As Wheeler’s men retreated toward (and across) the Tennessee River they passed through Pulaski, Tenn., where John Martin’s sister, Mary Kennedy Lane White, lived with her husband, Dr. Rufus Green Pinckney White, a prominent doctor. Some of the men passing her home told her of her brother’s fate.
She obtained a wagon and taking a servant with her, went to Farmington and retrieved her brother’s body. She brought him to Brick Church Cemetery, the place the family had attended church when they lived at Lairdland Farm House. He was buried next to his grandfather, Major John Gordon, who fought with Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans. A handsome obelisk was raised over the grave and stands in Brick Church Cemetery today.
A later listing of graves in Brick Church Cemetery simply notes his is on the left of the walkway leading to the door of the church.